Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Part Time Job

The food is great, but the hours are kind of suckish.

So, Saturday there was no cooking, or even experimenting in the kitchen. Neil had a sleep over at his cousins, and Gary and I got to go on a date. Anyway, we got to see a movie...Inglourious Basterds. And can I just say, it's my new favorite.

So, Sunday saw the Sauteed Chicken with brown deglazing sauce, Braised Onions, and Stuffed tomatoes with mushrooms and Swiss cheese. It all turned out okay, but I crowded the chicken...making it UGLY and burned the onions, making them taste rather onion-ey. And, remembered that I'm not a big fan of sauteed mushrooms. Oh well, Gary seemed quite pleased with it. Neil turned up his nose and ate PBandJ. On wheat, then complained that the bread had nuts in it...he's the one who likes wheat bread...not me.
Last night, I wanted something quick. HAHAHA!!! It was raining and soup sounded good, so I thought a nice beef stew could work. It was 8pm when we finally sat down to it. I started it at 5:30. Yeah...beef stew is not quick. So, 3 hours of cooking, then sitting down to dinner, then another hour for clean-up. I think I've found my part time job. But, at least the soup was a hit. Neil LOVED it! Gary ate two bowls...surprised? And I am learning that just that little bit of extra effort in the kitchen can have huge payoffs in the quality department. But, if anybody asks me what I've been up to, then gives me that "you're really not that busy" look, I think I may have to smack them.

1 comment:

Gary said...

the chiken and tomatoes ..... well its all been some of the best food ever!!. And alot of good food is prepared in are kitchen.

thanks and love long I mean lots ;)