Sunday, May 24, 2009

Kids Know how to Put it all in Perspective

This week was a bit of a sad one for my son. He found out on Wednesday that a classmates father had passed away Tuesday evening while mowing his lawn. Now, I'd never met the man, but he did make an impression. You see, Gary had the terrific opportunity of volunteering for a kindergarten field trip to Hogle Zoo a couple of weeks ago. He got to spend the day hanging out with Neil and one of his classmates. At the last minute, this other boy's dad was able to go. He originally didn't know if he would be able to trade anybody for the day off, so he didn't volunteer. He rode up to the zoo with my husband, and the two men were able to spend the day enjoying their sons enjoying the zoo. This was the kind of man who took a video camera on a field trip, and ran with every idea the two boys had of what to film. The boys ended up playing " 'Hooligan' and 'Galute' on the island of Madagascar". And this wonderful man caught it all on film. Why can't more parents be so willing to run with the wild ideas of their children? This man also treated my husband like he was spending the day at the zoo with an old friend, not somebody he just met earlier that morning. Why can't more people show such kindness and warmth to everybody? How much happier would this world be? If we were to just leave our insecurities on our pillows every morning and truly enjoy the day that is before us? Love everybody and try to make a positive mark on those we meet?

I saw the note from the school, telling the parents of the class, on Thursday morning. With the rush of activity in our house on Wednesday, I had neglected to even look in Neil's backpack. I talked to Neil about it that morning, and asked him how he was doing. He said that he missed his friend (classmate), and re-told in brief the adventures of " 'Hooligan' and 'Galute' on the island of Madagascar". I told him to remember to be extra nice to his friend when he returns to school next week, and he said "I already am". Good point, we should be kind enough to people before something world shattering happens, that they know they have a friend in us, when a friend is needed. I asked my son if he needed a hug, and he said "No, I've already handled it". And he has, he looks a bit sad when I ask him if he's doing okay. He remembers a fun day at the zoo with his friend and their dads. And he goes back to being a boy. Isn't that the best way to remember those we've lost? Reflect on the fun we've had and go back to living our lives?
I understand that my son is only 6 and loss at that age is far different from a loss at an older age...but why?

3 comments:

The Mop said...

good stuff

Renee' said...

Oh, I couldn't even imagine what that family is going through. Neil is very wise beyond his years. You and Gary have done well!

bobbie said...

Mop ~ thank you, I try.

Renee' ~ That event left me quite stunned. I love the grasp that Neil has on reality. And am amazed at how fast he can tune into the fantasy of being a little boy. Imaginary dinosaurs and living rooms full of ocean. Children are so incredible. Thank you for your kind words. And, I need to give them right back to you, you and Sean are doing quite well with your girls, yourselves.